Monday, April 6, 2015

Night Owl No More

For as long as I can remember, I've been a night owl. I was the kid who stayed awake after being put to bed, flashlight under the covers, book in hand. As I got older, I used to love being the last person awake in the whole house. I enjoyed the solitude, but there was always something about that time of night...as the hours ticked away into the darkness...that made me feel more alive.

I always wrote my best work late at night. I remember nights in my late teens and early twenties when I'd scribble away at the speed of light, words coming to me more rapidly than I could get them down on paper, poems being created in bursts of energy and creativity. There were times I wrote so long and so late, almost delirious with exhaustion, threw the papers to the floor and gave in to sleep, only to wake up in the morning almost completely surprised by what I had created in my last hour before the sleep overtook me. It was kind of like a surprise. Kind of like a dream you don't remember until something triggers it back to the front of your mind. I'd see the papers, the words, the lines on the page, and I'd say OH! Yes! I did write that last night! How awesome!


In college, it wasn't unusual for me to retreat alone to the living room of my shared apartment to watch old movies on TCM until 2 am. A few years back, married to Rick, I used to work all day, go to grad school all night, get home around 10 pm for the first time all day, and still have energy to blog or film a self-help YouTube video or start a paper. A night owl I was, and a night owl I remained.

Until now.

I don't think I would have ever called myself a morning person. But now, I wake up at 5:45 am. Sometimes earlier. Even on weekends, it's unusual for me to sleep past 7:00. I've begun going to work earlier and earlier, starting my day in a persistent manner, full of energy. I need my coffee, of course, but I'm ready to take on the day. And I like it.

I don't go to bed late most of the time. My body and mind have adjusted themselves to a new pattern. They've decided upon something they like better. Change comes. Apprehension leaves. We find a groove. We settle in. We live.

I used to be a night owl. Now I'm an early bird. Either way, I sing.

1 comment:

  1. "I used to be a night owl. Now I'm an early bird. Either way, I sing".

    Beautifully put, Arielle. There may just be a poem in that line.

    ReplyDelete

Help me feel less alone.