Sunday, October 5, 2014

Action

Today I walked in memory and honor of Rick. Today was the Greater Lehigh Valley Out of Darkness Walk for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. I did not have to walk alone. I had with me what my friend Daniele calls "Arielle's Love Parade." I had a beautiful and supportive army of almost 40 friends and family members.


My grief is not cured, but the action certainly helped a great deal. My loved ones came from near and far to give me hugs and walk by my side. As a group, we sported t-shirts that said RICK LIVES ON. And live on he does, through this blog, through my stories about him, through the connection of friends and family, and through my love for him.

There are not enough words to thank the people who have walked beside me on this grief journey. I wish I could say that we have reached the end so that I could send them on their way, but sadly the journey continues. At only 4.5 months out, I have a long way to go. I am so incredibly lucky to have such incredible people with me today and every day.

The people who were there today are a representation of the many who support me. I know there are friends far away who could not walk with me physically, but nevertheless sent their love and kindness. I am ever grateful.

I walked with old co-workers, current co-workers, old friends, new friends, family (including both my small nieces), and so many connections in between.

 [me & my brother]

My parents have been with me every step of the way. They would do anything for me - and often do, and Rick always knew I would have them to take care of me.

[me with my wonderful parents]

But Rick, this day wasn't about me. It was about you. Your suicide was not prevented, but I pray that the suicides of many others will now be prevented. I personally raised $1,605 for the vital cause and my fantastic and admirable team raised $3,550, beating our goal by $550. I am proud, lucky, and honored to know everyone who surrounded me today.


Rick lives on. Rick lives on. Rick lives on. Forever.

3 comments:

  1. Rick lives on, Rick lives on, Rick lives on. And you are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally I dont comment but I read your blog every night, and youre such an inspiration :) Rick does live on

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done such a great thing.
    Yes - Rick lives on and on and on and on...

    ReplyDelete

Help me feel less alone.