Saturday, March 21, 2015

Good Company

One of the things I like to do is to look back in time to see what I was doing and feeling on any given day. I've done it several times on this blog - looked back to an old post to mentally mark progression or just receive a message from myself.

Well, tonight I looked back even farther (not on this blog, obviously) just to see what I could see. Two years ago this week, I left an anonymous letter for a stranger at a Dunkin Donuts in Allentown. That was back when I left an anonymous letter for a stranger to find every single Monday in 2013.

"No road is long with good company," the little Turkish proverb in the card I left professed. Inside the card, I wrote:

Dear You,

Even if today is a good day for you, I want you to know that hope is there waiting to help you cope when a bad day begins. If today is less than perfect, then I'm glad this card found you. You don't have to have an army at your side to be supported and loved. It's about quality not quantity. One true friend can make all the difference. "Good company" can mean a select few or even just this letter. You matter. You are not alone. Keep that in mind and any long road won't seem so long. Much love,
Me

It seemed fitting I would find this today, archived on the web as so many of my doings over the past few years are...because prior to my internet trip down memory lane, I had been finalizing my Matron of Honor speech for my best friend's wedding (which is next weekend). After crying each time I read through it out loud to myself today (practicing to NOT cry), it occurred to me that in addition to a toast of well wishes, my speech is actually a (loving) letter to my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help me feel less alone.