Sunday, January 11, 2015

Time Will Tell

Needless to say, I skipped another night of blogging last night. I was in NYC all day and night for my best friend's Bachelorette Party. I could have posted earlier or made arrangements to write a post ahead of time and then post it at night, as I've done many a time before when I've been out of town or otherwise occupied, but I chose not to.

It's always great to have a fun time with a bunch of great people. And when it's all said and done, even though last night wasn't about me, it's impossible for me not to go back in time and remember my own Bachelorette Party. Seven years ago, I celebrated my own Bachelorette Party. It honestly feels like a life time ago. I feel like another person entirely. I look at photos and I smile, I laugh, and I remember, but it's like I'm looking at another girl - a person who no longer exists. It isn't a bad thing. It's just a thing.

7 years can be a lot of time or very little time, depending upon how you look at it. What's weird is that I look upon that time of my life almost in the way I look at photos of myself as a little girl. I might as well have been 3 as 23, for how far away it all feels.

But I feel good about where I am. In the same way I wouldn't want to be 3 again, I wouldn't want to be 23 again either. It's actually becoming pretty interesting to look at my life with different eyes and get to choose a future all over again.

I remember when my best friend was my Maid of Honor...and now being hers, it's hard not to compare how much has happened in the span of the 7 years separating our weddings. Life keeps throwing things at me, at us, at everyone. We just never know what life holds for us...

But it's so comforting and so amazing to know that no matter what happens, no matter how many years pass, no matter who's getting married or who we're celebrating, best friends never go away.


I didn't know what life held for the 23 year old woman in the photos from my Bachelorette Party 7 years ago...and looking at the photos from last night, I can't say I know what life holds for the 30 year old woman I see in these new photos either... I guess only time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. I have caught up on your posts, and admit to avoiding them for awhile. Avoiding your pain like I avoid my own pain. I feel guilty I suppose for still having my own husband when I came so close to losing him. Also guilty for attempting to take my own life multiple times. I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say, but you are bravely forging ahead despite everything you have lost. I'm in awe... <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great! Last night I also attended my best friend’s bachelorette party. I must say that after a long time I enjoyed with my friends. The party was held at the best bachelorette party nyc venue and everything in the party was just perfect with terrific music, delicious party food and fun games!

    ReplyDelete

Help me feel less alone.